St Clare Garden uses sustainable methods because growing food in a responsible way means:
- Healthy living soils
- Clean water
- Clean air
- Healthy food
- A healthy economy
- Healthy people
For generations to come.
Sustainability is a part of everything we do at St. Clare Garden. Here are some of the actions we take:
- We rotate crops to maximize soil health
- We use cover crops and green manure to sequester carbon, promote a living soil biome, and maximize available nutrients while minimizing off-farm inputs.
- We use human-scale tools rather than heavy machinery to reduce soil compaction and greenhouse gas emissions.
- We do not use petroleum-derived fertilizers
- We manage plant and animal pests without the use of harmful chemicals. If we do need to apply pesticide or herbicide, we follow USDA Organic standards.